Monday, January 2, 2012

Thanks for the Theater

I don’t make New Year’s resolutions, because I rarely keep them and don’t like feeling guilty.  But someone last year suggested that I write a blog.  It was in the context of my involvement with Saline Area Players (aka SAP).  At the time, I barely knew what a blog was and had maybe read one or two of them before.  I have been doing publicity for SAP for years and became curious about what a blog is and how to do it.  Since the Saline Reporter has been looking for people to blog for some time now and advertised a free session on blogging, I went and learned the basics.  Didn’t seem too hard.  After thinking about it awhile, it seemed like a pretty cool idea and a way to communicate to the community about the theater happenings with SAP and the surrounding area, as well as whatever else comes to mind.

So, here goes….


I’m not sure what it is about a new year that makes us reflect on life and things good and bad and gives us hope for the next year.  One of my resolutions (that I haven’t officially made but work at on and off) is developing a sense of gratitude, finding an appreciation for the good things in life while also recognizing that there are definite difficulties and challenges.  Developing gratitude can lead to well being and peace of mind.  I try to think about things I’m grateful for and also dabble at my gratitude journal, which is a lot of fun because I can look back at things I was grateful for in the past, which are usually things I am still grateful for.  Little things…. like fresh tomatoes, the burst of fresh cold air that greets me when leaving work, free stuff that I’ll actually use, humor, the color blue…

In the theater vein, I’d like to quote song lyrics of one of America’s more prolific composers and musical theater writer, Irving Berlin.  “Got no checkbooks, got no banks, still I’d like to express my thanks – I got the sun in the morning and the moon at night.”   Gratitude is finding good in something.

When I reflect on the Saline Area Players, and on community theater in general, I find a lot to be grateful for.  Making new friends is one thing… it is an amazing way to meet people from all walks of life who come together for a few months at a time, and often longer, to work together on a common goal.  I’ve made some lifelong friends through theater.  It also promotes individual growth.  I love to watch the kids that have been involved with SAP over the years evolve.  One mom wrote to me thanking SAP because her daughter got the “lead” in her first grade play and did a good job, thanks in large part to her experiences/confidence building with SAP.  Wow!  And I’m grateful for the terrific productions that we present. It is a such a welcoming and easy place for people to try out a new talent, whether it be acting, set building, painting, finding props, sewing, and creating! And, even better, we’re linked to the community.  At our recent Rudolph play at Stone Arch, one patron was quoted as saying she came back every year because “this is so Saline!”

I guess I could go on, but this is already too long.  Mostly I wanted to launch this blog and think about how grateful I am for our local theater group.  More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment